I am a critical care nurse, a travel nurse, a travel lover, a dog lover, a dog mom, an introvert (although at work, you'd guess I am extroverted), an empath, an INFJ, a truth seeker, a dreamer, a deeply serious soul with a wicked sense of humor, an aunt, a friend, a daughter, and a sister. These are my thoughts and experiences about nursing and life. I have changed quite a bit since starting this blog, but to honor where I have been and where I am going I have kept all my entries whether or not they are memories that I want to keep. My goal in life is to obtain inner peace, be the change, and mostly to be a beautiful soul! Namaste, my friends!!
Saturday, March 28, 2009
The two little piggies (or fingers)...
This little piggy went to the ER. This little piggy stayed on. This little piggy got stitches. This little piggy got none. Apparently I decided I wanted to cut off my fingers the other day. Cut right through the apple and right into two of my fingers. Too bad my husband keeps the knives from our butcher block really sharp. I'm lucky I didn't chop my fingers off. When water didn't stop the bleeding I admit I panicked a bit when I realized how much blood I was losing and I was like "what do I do now?" Then I'm like, "Jennie, chill out, you're a NURSE. Get a grip. Put pressure on them. Call your husband." Ridiculous. haha. I think I nearly gave the poor boy a heart attack with that phone call. (Don't tell my apartment complex I bled on the carpet, oops). After running into 3 techs that I went through orientation with and 2 respiratory therapists I knew and getting made fun of a lot. I ended up with just 4 lousy stitches (luckily my nail acted like my stitches for my other finger although I will probably lose the nail later, lame) and two bulky ugly bandages that don't inspire a lot of confidence in my patients. I tried to get out of the stitches and just go home, but I had to work the same day and open wounds and nursing is a recipe for an infection. But hey, one of the doctors on my floor even said he had done the same thing. So, what did I learn? Stay away from knives. Don't get an infection (I can't even wear gloves at work so they sent me home later, lame). Scars are NOT a fashion statement. Lidocaine hurts like HELL going in, but makes you feel really weird when it works and hurts when it wears off. It's incredibly hard to work (nursing) with one hand (for instance trying to attach an IV line). Cuts HURT (can't be on narcotics at work, you get fired so no prescription for me, just Tylenol). Ok, that's about it. I'm buying an apple slicer. I don't think my husband will object.